Tuesday, March 10, 2009

One for the book...

Life has been a little crazy lately and I just wanted to tell everyone thank you so much for your thoughts and prayers as I try to get through this craziness.

Here is a recap for anyone that has not heard.

On Wednesday afternoon my heart was racing so fast so I finished up a work and rushed to labor and delivery. I told the nurse that my heart was racing and she started to put the monitors around my stomach to monitor the baby and as she is doing this she told me that I was probably just starting to get high blood pressure but as soon as she put the stethoscope on my chest she sat there for a minute and then went to my wrist to try and get my pulse and then she tried again on my chest and then when she couldn't get a reading she told me very calmly "I will be right back" the next thing I know I have 3 more nurses in my room 2 are from the ICU and one is from the ER. (I told Jer that this was just going to be a sit and be monitored for an hour and I would be released so I told him not to even bother) Well, the nurses decided that I needed to have ice around my neck and face to see if my heart would stop racing but nothing was working by then the nurses had called in 2 doctors and they are going to do an EKG on me. They took my heart reading and by then they were freaking out because my heart rate was 230. So they got a bucket of ice water and told me I needed to dunk my head 3 times for 10 seconds each but still nothing was working. Then at this point I have 3 more doctors in my room and they are yelling at the labor and delivery nurse (who by the way is totally freaked out because this is out of her league) to get a IV asap (this is the part where I start to freak out because there are so many doctors in my room and they are yelling and running around) As soon as the IV is in the ER doctor is telling me what is going to happen while he is starting to put medicine into my IV. He said that my chest would hurt, I might pass out and I would taste metal in my mouth. I had no idea what this meant but while everything is being said I heard a couple of nurses out in the hall talking and asking what was going on and they said "They are going to restart her heart". Holy Crap, I sure wish Jer was here!! Everything happened that the doctor said and my heart slowed down to where it is suppose to be, 100-110 beats per minute not 230. After everyone stopped freaking out they came in and talked to me about what just happened and they told me that they had paged my doctor, called the heart doctor and was getting ready for emergency c-section. Jeremiah finally gets to the hospital and he walks down the hall where my room is and he sees all of the nurses around my room and they were just shocked at what had just happened. He said that he thought one of us had died by the look on the nurses faces. Then I was monitors for the next hour and everything was just fine so they sent me home. I felt fine but I was just exhausted.

On Monday I went to see the heart doctor and he told me they had figured out what was wrong with me. He told me this was not pregnancy related and I need to have heart surgery but that can't happen until after the baby comes. I have SVT which means I have an extra electric vent. I was born with this problem and the reason while it just happens while I am pregnant is because I have so many more hormones and stress on my body. So I will be having heart surgery in July. I just cross my fingers that this doesn't happen again but if it does I have a chart that the heart doctor gave me to give to the emergency room. He said this is my ticket to the front of the line.

21 comments:

Mike Jones said...

We are so glad you are ok. When the nurse leaves the room and calmly says "I'll be right back" it's almost never a good thing.

You guys are awesome neighbors the girls are still spotting elk on the foothills after Jeremiah let them look through the spotting scope.

We are ready to help in anyway you guys see fit.

The Leithead Family said...

Amy! I had no idea! Maybe I would if I would call you more often. I hope you are doing ok. How scary!! I can't believe you have to have heart surgery! You need to take it easy. Tell Jer he needs to do everything around the house and make sure you don't get stressed. We love you!

*WEST* said...

HOly Crap!! And here you are being such a trooper all weekend in St. George! That is the craziest thing. If I can help out in any way at all let me know.. I am glad that you are ok and I will be thinking of you...

Becks said...

Holy crap...I had no idea. I have been so caught up in my own little world. I'm thinking about you! Loves!

The Beals said...

AMY!! Oh my gosh!! I am so glad you are ok!! Hang in there!

Stan Adams said...

Amy Jer called and told us about it and we are thankful you are ok for now. We will keep you in our prayers and are looking forward to seeing you guys tomorrow. Take care.

Kathy Rose said...

Oh my heck Amy!!! How scarey. I am sooo glad that you are okay right now. And I agree with everyone else as far as taking it easy!!! You are in my prayers. Love you.

Can said...

Amy that is so scary!! I am so glad you now know what was wrong. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

Cole and Ashli Wilson said...

Oh my gosh Amy, I am so glad you are okay!!! Please let me know if I can do anything for you. Oh and I see that your having a boy, Yeah!!!!!

Kristin said...

Holy Cow!! I'm so glad that everything is okay and pray that everything will go smoothly for the rest of the pregnancy! That is so scary! Hang in there!

HaleyandGabe said...

and to think you were chilling in st.george the next day YOU ARE CRAZY! but you were just so calm and relaxed down there (well you did a good job of acting that way) anyways, ill be seeing you this weekend!!

M n L Hall Family said...

Wow, I couldn't imagine what that was like for you and Jer, we are grateful you are ok for now and will keep you in our thoughts and prayers that all will be ok till the baby comes and the doctors can help you! Take care!!

Ashley Willoughby said...

Oh thank you for the update. I have been asking Case every day "how's Amy" He is getting so sick of me asking! If you need anything PLEASE let me know! The girls are always welcome to come and play, and I would be happy to run around for you if you need anything. You and the baby are in our prayers.

BEESTON said...

HOLY CRAP is right AMy. How scary!!! I can't believe it. Oh, I hope you can just relax and take it easy the rest of your pregnancy. Oh that is scary. I am glad you didn't have to have and emergency c-section. We don't want any more preemie's. Good Luck! I am so happy it's a boy!

mckell said...

I'm glad you are ok, that is the scariest thing! Let me clean your house or babysit the girls whenever you need me k, I want to help you guys out in whatever way I can:)

Unknown said...

Please call if you need anything, McKell and I will come clean your house anytime or take the girls:)

Mike and Becky said...

We love you guys! You are in our thoughts and prayers. Please call us if you need anything. We are here to help you. Hang in there.

Alicia said...

Wow Amy! I am glad you updated, I was wondering how you were doing! That is really scary! I hope it doesn't happen again! With working, two kids and being pregnant, that is a lot to take on! You're in my thoughts and prayers as well!

Todd and Meagan said...

Hey Amy. I talked to Casey the other day and he told me what had happened. After reading your blog I am just in shock. How scary that must have been for you! I am glad everything turned out okay and I hope you and the baby stay healthy. I noticed that you and I are only two days apart on our pregnancies :)

*WEST* said...

I am just wondering how you have been feeling??

Jolley's said...

Woah, that is so scary! I'm glad you guys caught it though. Just what you need, a new baby and heart surgery all in a few weeks amount of time. We'll be thinking of you!